TEXT: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
TOTAL: 108 pages
Pacing Guide and Answer Keys included
This unit is jam-packed with everything you need to teach the novel, whether you’re doing it as a whole-class, a small group (i.e. reading groups or literature circles), or as an individual project. It includes many activities that serve as comprehension tools and valuable practice determining different story elements.
These rigorous, cross-curricular lessons and activities work in conjunction with the fictional text to teach students how comprehend complex literature and help them understand the significance of the story.
>>>MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS<<<
- Teaching Tips – helpful hints and suggested timeline to ensure that you make the most of this resource
- Teacher Notes – notes on all the chapters and characters for your reference
- Comprehension Questions – multiple questions for every chapter to check student comprehension Answer key included!
- Vocabulary – five vocabulary words for each chapter Answer key included!
- Esperanza’s Journal – a creative alternative to comprehension questions
- Graphic Organizers – visual displays to help students keep track of their ideas.
- Writing Prompts – assess student comprehension at the end of the novel
- Novel Project – extra activities to bring this novel to life in your classroom!
This unit is aligned with the following Common Core standards:
Interested in more novel studies? Find them here!
Keep your teaching colorful,